Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Jorge Manilla...










Some year ago (2009) I had the opportunity to meet Jorge Manilla, a nice and interesting guy, very funny and very ambitious. Now he will exhibit here in my town, Gothenburg Sweden and I look forward to see his jewellery stuff live, what happen since last time and so on... 

Jorge has sent me these photos and text (above) to my blog, which I appreciate very much and I am happy for.

Now I just wait to take part in a lecture Jorge Manilla will keep this at HDK January 29, starting at 16.00.

http://www.hdk.gu.se/sv

And Jorge's solo exhibition at the gallery with four opening January 23 at 17:00 to 21:00

http://www.foursweden.com/

Should also be fun to meet Jorge after these years!

Statement “OSCURE  SACRIFICE”

“The emotional element which gives an obsessive value to communal existence is death.”  George Bataille

In 2010, I  began to work on my series “Only Memories”and “Dust of a Broken Love”, which were inspired by the deepest feelings and fears that we usually avoid, I tried to show with this work the moral and corporeal anatomy of the human soul. Since then, I’ve developed series in which I explore the darker side of human beings. With series like “Pain”, “Melancholia”, “Contemporary Savagery” and “Morbid Moves” .
I’ve researched  and reflected on  topics such as death, life, love, feelings, emotions in both the
psychological and physical aspects of people.
With “Oscure Sacrifice” ,  I seek  to confront  elements of  my previous work with a more positive human outlook. Preserving the mystery and abstractness of the dark side, I want to create new  forms that  originate  a feeling of hope. Shapes and material serve as translators of my thoughts, in my creative process through materials I strive to penetrate in the dark side of the society we live in and then represent an idealized – less  negative image of a society that in the last years has produced mass murders, not only physical but emotional and intellectual. My latest pieces are images born out of the dream of darkness, of hope or solely my instinct.

Jorge Manilla


Oscure Sacrifices part 1

By creating  jewellery Jorge Manilla investigates his environment - religion, emotions, relationships and the meaning of life. 
Manilla has a professional background as a boxer and butcher. He observes violence and cruelty pragmatic and objective and his jewellery often express a brutal rawness – The last years the artist  re discovered his love for the black color, wich has been a constant in his life.
And since 2010 Manilla translate the rawness of life in materials...
For Jorge black relates to the hidden, the secretive and the unknown, and as a result it creates an air of mystery. It keeps things bottled up inside, hidden from the world.
With his dark forms and shapes he creates a barrier between the meanings of the objects and the outside world.
Black implies self-control and discipline, independence and a strong will, and giving an impression of authority and power.

Manilla think that black is the end, but the end always implies a new beginning.
When the light appears, black becomes white, the color of new beginnings

The work of Jorge are beautiful punches that hit the viewer in solar plexus.

Jorge Manila is originally from Mexico, lives and a longside his professional activities as an artist around the world, he is teacher in Art and Design at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Antwerp.
He is right now also working as researcher at the same Academy and doing his PhD under the title Other Bodies.
Since 2014 he is visiting professor  and official tutor of the master students at Alchimia school of Contemporary Jewelleryin Firenze It.






http://elemenop123.blogspot.se/2012/01/jorge-manilla.html

Jorge will also have a solo exhibition during SCHMUCK week in Munich in March 2015. Hopefully we'll see even then!

No comments: